Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Your Title Here

Hopefully this is coherent - I haven't slept much lately! :)

Colton and I went to the doctor again yesterday. He weighed in "pretty well" as the doctor said - 9lbs2.5oz. He gained the requisite .5oz per day that he needed to. But I guess my mommy intuition told me there is still something going on so I pressed him a bit. After all, when he eats it is so loud and he takes in so much air. Feedings take a very long time. The doc agreed with me that there is a problem but he does not think it is a metabolic issue anymore. He thinks it is an anatomical issue- something to do with the way Colton sucks or the way his mouth works. He referred us to an occupational therapist who can observe him eating and work with him. But the good news is that Colton is still gaining and he was strong enough to receive 2 of his 3 immunizations. We will go back in two weeks for the third immunization and another weight check. He grew in length and head circumference too. His percentiles aren't going up but they aren't going down either (although head circ went up so he must be a genius!)
Thank you for your prayers, we'll continue to keep you posted.

It is much later in the evening than when I wrote earlier and I wanted to ask for your specific prayers. Tomorrow Clark and I will be taking Colton into the pediatrician's office for some answers. After trying to feed him tonight and hearing him just gasp for air, I'm just done. I'm done seeing my baby struggle to breathe. I'm done hearing that this baby was like that and that baby did this like Colton. I appreciate that people are trying to encourage me but I'm afraid my doctor is sort of doing the same thing - aligning him with other kids and not seeing him as his own entity. It's not so much the eating and weight gain. I feel that is a symptom of something else. It takes forever to feed him and he hardly eats still. I'm so grateful he has gained weight but there are still some issues. Colton's breathing is different when you actually hear it. I only have one child so I didn't know how it was supposed to be but now I'm getting wise to it. I got used to his wheezing/squeaking/gasping but now I realize that the poor guy can't breathe, therefore can't eat and can't sleep well. Obviously these are important things so Clark has decided to take the day off from work and go with me. I won't leave the doctor's office until we have some direction. I may be a first time mom but this is the last time I'm going to leave that office without answers. I'm done. Thanks for listening - again, I'm very tired.

2 comments:

Welcome! said...

I have never been a mom before, but I strongly beleive that God gives mothers an instict that must be trusted. I hope you were able to get answers from the doctor. We are still praying for little Colton!

Let's get together again soon! How does this Saturday look? Maybe that is too soon....let me know what you are feelin'. :-)

April Spicer said...

So what happened today with the new doctor? And by the way, you are doing EVERYTHING right, Tammy! I love you.


Dinner with Tracey and Amber