Wednesday, February 28, 2007

For the people

Okay, so I have been checking my friends' blogs and I have been irritated that they are not posting anything new for me. I guess I've been looking at it as a personal thing which it is not, of course. So then I thought, hey!, I should probably write something of my own for the people so here it is.

I am in court ALL THE TIME. I barely have time to process my cases and get ready for the next day. Then I drive 1.5 hours minimum both ways to work. Why do I do this? Because I love my job. I love working with kids and I love helping kids. Last week I spent some time talking with 3 teenage boys about drugs and getting into trouble. At first they were totally ignoring me and putting up a wall but by the time I was finished, they were looking at me and nodding, one kid in particular. It may not make a lasting impression but if it helps a little bit, it's worth it. When we got up to court, my bailiff called them punks. He thought they were beyond help and it ticked me off.

We have all these kids in the world who were raised by parents who weren't involved, had their own problems and basically provided no supervision or guidance. Then we expect them to grow up and be upstanding members of society? That isn't fair. Children need guidance and love and support. They need to be shown how to live with integrity, it isn't born in most of us naturally. So the next time you see a "punk kid", ask yourself why they might be acting out. Remind yourself if you have had wonderful parents that not everyone does. And how can we demand so much of someone without giving them the tools to succeed? It's like telling someone to build a house without giving them a hammer and a nail and some blueprints. These kids are living without blueprints. Thank God He will never leave them. And He loves them more than we ever could.

On a lighter note (literally):
Clark and I are still on the low carb diet and...I have lost 7 pounds! I'm so relieved that there is some reason for putting the kebash on my doritos; mashed potatoes; mac and cheese life. But the things that I think about most, even daydream about them, are cupcakes. I LOVE CUPCAKES! I will not leave them alone forever, someday I will return to cupcakes and I will love them as I always have. Sorry Dr. Atkins, that is just one God-given gift that I cannot fail to delight in.

Dinner with Tracey and Amber